lmi

Re: [lmi] Some redundant warning options in workhorse.make

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Some redundant warning options in workhorse.make
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 22:02:38 +0200

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 17:47:01 +0200 I wrote:

Me>  While working on trying to make wx headers compile at maximum warning
Me> level (you can see the warnings I've enabled for them in
Me> https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/pull/2033/commits/3fd55a4ddf40)
Me> I've noticed that a couple of warnings explicitly enabled in lmi are
Me> redundant: -Winit-self is enabled by -Wall for C++ and -Wwrite-strings is
Me> even enabled by default in C++.

 Just to follow up on this, after noticing the dependency above (i.e. the
fact that enabling -Winit-self is not actually necessary), I spent some
time on writing a script generating the list of warnings which are not
enabled by any of -W{all,extra,pedantic} by parsing the list of gcc
options. You probably won't be very interested in the script itself
(although see [1] if you would), but you might find the resulting table of
all such warnings at [2] useful. Also, if you have any doubt about whether
the given gcc warning is supported by some gcc version, the full version of
all warnings at [3] might be useful as well.

[1]: https://github.com/vadz/gcc-warnings-tools
[2]: https://hackmd.io/@VZ/gcc-warnings
[3]: https://hackmd.io/@VZ/all-gcc-warnings

 Finally, the commit with the URL I had given above was rewritten and so
doesn't exist any more, so here is the new commit SHA-1/URL, just for
completeness:

https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/pull/2033/commits/23334af81bc437dbf0c7ad22b23dd807b4d1d2d5

 Regards,
VZ