lmi

Re: [lmi] Benchmarking: gcc-8 beats gcc-10 soundly?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Benchmarking: gcc-8 beats gcc-10 soundly?
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 14:21:28 +0200

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 09:59:31 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

[...details of the investigation snipped...]
GC> even though this seems like an outlandish 'wine' regression?

 Of course, we've already seen very significant Wine performance
regressions in the past, so this doesn't seem that outlandish to me. I
should have thought to ask about the Wine versions used from the beginning,
which would have saved you some time, sorry...

 It's still rather strange that Wine influences the run time of mostly
numeric code so much, but maybe there are some calls to MSW APIs still done
even in this case.

 Anyhow, I think it's still worth comparing the binaries produced with 8.3
and 10.2 under native MSW. If there is no difference there, we probably
should just stop there and chalk all this up to Wine. If there is still a
difference even there, we need to continue with investigating it as
discussed before.

 Please let me know if you disagree, otherwise we'll try to do it soon (but
not today).

VZ