lmi

Re: [lmi] Should we update libxml and its kin?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Should we update libxml and its kin?
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 23:44:53 +0100

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 21:24:32 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> On 2022-03-10 15:59, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> >  I've created https://github.com/let-me-illustrate/lmi/pull/200
GC>
GC> Could something in this changeset have broken the build?

 Sorry, I think it did break a build in the existing build directory :-(
I did test this change locally and on GitHub Actions without encountering
any problems, but I was doing it in a clean environment (ostensibly, to
make sure that everything works).

 If you just want a solution and not the long explanation below, please run
"git -C third_party/libxslt clean -fdx" and build again and it should work
now.

GC> In a recently-created 'bookworm' chroot, I applied this changeset,
GC> then ran './install_msw.sh', hoping that everything would rebuild.
GC> But I encountered this problem with libxslt:
GC>
GC> checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-xml2-config... no
GC> checking for xml2-config...
/opt/lmi/local/gcc_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/xml2-config
GC> checking for libxml libraries >= 2.6.27... 2.9.13 found
GC> checking whether shared libraries will be built (required for plugins)...
yes
GC> checking libxml2 module support... no
GC> checking that generated files are newer than configure... done
GC> configure: creating ./config.status
GC> config.status: creating Makefile
GC> config.status: creating libxslt.pc
GC> config.status: creating libexslt.pc
GC> config.status: creating libxslt/Makefile
GC> config.status: creating libxslt/xsltconfig.h
GC> config.status: error: cannot find input file: `libxslt/xsltwin32config.h.in'

 What happens here is that your configure still references this file, but
it was removed in the latest version of the submodule. Of course, the
reference to it was removed from libxslt configure.ac too, but the trouble
is that install_xml_libraries.sh doesn't contain any dependency of
configure on configure.ac, it just checks if the former exists.

 So You need to force regeneration of configure, either by manually running
"NOCONFIGURE=1 ./autogen.sh" in third_party/libxslt or by just deleting the
existing third_party/libxslt/configure to force recreating it.

 I can, and probably should, make a PR updating install_xml_libraries.sh to
check that configure doesn't exist or is older than configure.ac instead of
just performing the first half of the check. I'll do this soon if you don't
mind.

 Sorry for missing the problem here!
VZ