lout-users

Re: Lout to HTML translator ?

From: Ian Jackson
Subject: Re: Lout to HTML translator ?
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 94 13:00 BST

rodrigo vanegas writes ("Re: Lout to HTML translator ? "):
> [...]
>   Ian Jackson's Linux FAQ.  This is a real hack but it works for at
>   least one person.  It also has three output formats.
>     * Info files
>     * plain 7bit ASCII
>     * Lout -> PostScript
>   You should ask Ian personally.  His email is: address@hidden

I'm here too :-).  I just thought I'd point out that the conversion
script now also produces HTML, and that I've split the ASCII output
into two, providing a plain ASCII text file and a two-part news
posting.

There's not very much code involved (275 lines for the core script and
about 200 lines for each of the 5 often very similar back-ends), and
it's easy to make it do what you want if you know Perl and have me to
help explain it - there's no documentation.  If you don't know Perl,
and don't want to learn it, you should forget it.

Examples of the input and output can be found here:
 Source, Info, Lout/PostScript and plain ASCII by FTP from
 sunsite.unc.edu in /pub/Linux/docs/FAQ:
   linux-faq.info.gz
   linux-faq.ps.gz (output of lout -idoc linux-faq.lout)
   linux-faq.ascii
   linux-faq.source.tar.gz
 HTML on the Web at http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/iwj10/linux-faq/
 News postings' Message-IDs (in news.answers et al):
   <address@hidden>
   <address@hidden>
  (these are also on rtfm.mit.edu.)

Ian.