lout-users

porting Lout

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: porting Lout
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 1994 09:12:00 +1000

        Aaron> I haven't gone through the code, but perhaps Jeff can comment.

I draw the line at doing ports myself, partly because I don't have the
expertise in the target systems, but mainly because I'm snowed under
keeping the Unix system together.

Lout is written in C and the code itself should port anywhere.  It makes
system calls to fopen(), ftell(), fclose(), link(), unlink(), rename(),
and system() and perhaps one or two others.  system() is used for the
sorting of database index files (sorted reference lists and sorted indexes
are built out of this too) and for the filtered parameters of Version 3
which are at present used in that standard packages only for C and C++
prettyprinting.  If the target system has equivalents for thesee functions
I don't see why the port should take more than a couple of hours.  Of
course, I'm no expert.

Jeff.