lout-users

Lout->HTML converter: seeking for developer/maintainer.

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Lout->HTML converter: seeking for developer/maintainer.
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 17:14:11 +0400 (MSD)

Hello, Lout folk!

On Tue, 13 Jun 1995, Peter Preus wrote:

> does anybody know anything about HTML output from lout
> or a program to convert a lout document into an HTML document?

Ok, I've been working on lout->html recently. Unfortunately, I can
devote only *VERY FEW* time to this (The irony is that I'm stuck in
russification of TeX, funny, isn't it). So if someone is willing to
continue the development I'll be glad to provide him with my scratches
and detailed explanations.

The convertor is written in... Lout itself. The basic idea is to use
plain text output (-p switch) and provide lout with a different
package that is fully interface compatible with standard one, but
defines commands like @PP to produce HTML markup.

This is really easy, and anyone with some lout "kernel experience" can
continue the development. If this person is interested in Lout->HTML
himself he will have much stronger motivation than I have :-).

Current status
==============

I've been using lout v3.03. Upgrade to 3.04 should not be a problem.

I wrote >1000 lines of boring and routing definitions to produce markup
itself (with attributes) in a uniform way, like:

        address@hidden @class { Section } { ... section galley ... }
        1 address@hidden { ... H1 heading ... }

etc... I have typed in almost all the HTML-v3, adding new definitions
is just a matter of M-w...

I modified reportf layout to wrap (sub)*(section|appenix) into DIV,
titles into H etc...

I hacked up (partially) `dl' layout. Paragraphs and lists already
work. In fact hacking dl means ruthlessly oversimplifying it since we
don't need most of the clever kernel code.

If anyone is interested in this I can pass you my sources and ideas.
Any takers?

Best regards!

SY, Uwe.
--------
Valeriy E. Ushakov (aka Uwe)            |       Zu Grunde kommen
address@hidden                         |       Ist zu Grunde gehen