lout-users

Typesetting Tibetan with Lout: success story!

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Typesetting Tibetan with Lout: success story!
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 20:50:44 +0300 (MSK)

                          LoutTib v1.0 Alpha
                            now available

LoutTib is a tool to typeset Tibetan with Lout (batch) document
formatter. This is an *ALPHA* release (it is only a month old). I
wrote it as I need Tibetan excerpts in my paper. I find it useful, may
be you'll find it useful too.

The LoutTib distribution contains

        o Type1 Tibetan font (modified version of Tibetan-ModernA by
          Christopher Fynn)

        o Transliteration utility called `louttib', that translate
          romanized Tibetan into glyph codes.

        o Supporting Lout code

You can get LoutTib (gzipped tar archive) and preformatted PostScript
documentation (A4, Tibetan font included) from

 ftp://ftp.niif.spb.su/pub/tibet/software/typeset/louttib-1.0alpha.tgz
 ftp://ftp.niif.spb.su/pub/tibet/software/typeset/louttib-doc.ps.gz

------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<----

Does this count as a success story? :-)

This was very easy. Thou this is not a new language (yet), only
excerpts, but it can be several pages long. Transliterator was the
toughest thing (well, rather, routing and boring). There's only few
lines of Lout code (shorthands for style, only for brevity).

I know that there're people interested in adding Chinese support to
Lout. I'm thinking about porting devanagri-1.2 for TeX (Sanskrit
support) to Lout (low priority task).

Does anyone else use, wants to use or plans to write Lout support for
non-european languages?

Best regards!

SY, Uwe.
--------