lout-users

Re: `lout -eps' and BoundingBox

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: `lout -eps' and BoundingBox
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 16:36:13 +0000 (GMT)

( Re Message From: address@hidden )

> I'm using lout to produce a graph whose image I wish to include
> in a LaTeX document (because the document has to be expressed in
> LaTeX so someone else can use it!). I'm using the rather old
> lout 3.02. I have the problem that the PostScript BoundingBox
> value produced is for the entire page, not just the smaller figure
> I set upon it. Is there a means of causing lout to produce the
> bounding box of the figure?

I don't know about BoundingBox for Lout; but a solution I've found
effective with other software when this problem arises is to edit the
PostScript file to delete the "%%BoundingBox:" line and then run it
through the program ps2epsi (comes with ghostscript).

This produces a BB based on the marks which will be made on the paper.
It can be a touch off if there's text (e.g. axis labels), because
ghostscript doesn't know the proper font metrics for standard PS fonts;
but you can tweak the BB until it's right.

You may also want to edit out the epsi preview bitmap (doesn't print, but
makes a bigger file). Or tweak ps2epsi itself till it does what you want.

Ted.                                    (address@hidden)