lout-users

Re: Lout horrendously slow on a 486DX/66

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Lout horrendously slow on a 486DX/66
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 17:06:44 +0300 (MSK)

On Sun, 2 Mar 1997, you wrote:

> I recently installed lout 3.0.8 and it was  *horrendously* slow compiling
> the beginner's guide, swapping constantly for a couple of hours before I
> just killed the thing.  I was wondering, is this normal behaviour for lout
> on a single user DX2/66 linux system with just 8 meg of ram?  What is the
> minimum that lout feels comfortable in?  Would adding another 8 meg of RAM
> help?

Take a look at the message Jeff sent to the list two years ago:

     <URL:http://www.ptc.spbu.ru/mail-archives/lout-pre-3.07/0010.html>

In particular he writes:

jeff> Conclusion: Lout is a memory hog, and there is nothing quick
jeff> that I can do to improve the situation.

Fortunately, for a smaller documents execution time and memory
footprint are usually acceptable.

Also, try compiling lout with debugging enabled and run it with `-dma'
flag to see what's going on yourself.

SY, Uwe