lout-users

is there something like "{} @Scale" that fits vertically?

From: Greg A. Woods
Subject: is there something like "{} @Scale" that fits vertically?
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 21:19:07 -0400 (EDT)

I've been fighting again with @Scale and friends trying to fit an
@IncludeGraphic (EPSF) into an available vertical space.

I finally read the phrase in the Expert's guide that turned on the
missing light for me -- i.e. "Lout will scale the object by a common
factor _horizontally_ so as to occupy all available horizontal space."

I think I've missed this fine point from the very first day I used lout!

I've been fighting to scale something by a common factor to fill all
available _vertical_ space!

Now in a procedural language I'd simply discover the factor used by
@VScale to fit the object and then also apply that factor to @HScale the
object (or of course if I could discover the factor without applying the
@VScale then I'd just use that factor with @Scale}.

In lout though I'd suspect what I'm looking for is something like
@VHScale (where the current "{} @Scale"" might be equivalent to
@HVScale).  I.e. the first letter of the operator would indicate which
direction the expansion was attempted, and the resulting scale factor
would be applied to the object both vertically and horizontally.

A quick look at the C code suggested I didn't have the time, energy, or
understanding necessary to add such a feature myself....

Perhaps there's a way to do what I wish without C coding though.  Does
anyone have any clues for me?

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <address@hidden>      <robohack!woods>