lout-users

Re: Bibliography

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Bibliography
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 21:40:51 +0300

On Tue, Feb 03, 1998 at 12:26:03AM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:

> Is there a way of placing the bibliography in an arbitrary place in the
> document? Perhaps a @Bibliography symbol or something? Could you help?

With standard doc typews - no, there isn't.  Use @Cite to collect refs
at the end of your document.  Use @ChapCite to collect refs at the end
of the current major structure element, like chapter.

> Maybe I am too "Microsoft Word" oriented but it has always been possible to
> put the 'bibliography' and 'table of contents' fields anywhere in a Word
> document, and I am missing this.

I believe that providing generic features like these will cause more
harm than do good.

The standard document types just can't accomodate all features
potential user might demand.  This is why Lout is programmable :-).

The rule of thumb is: if you need a different document structure, grab
the standard document type and modify it.  It's easier than it might
appear, believe me.  My advice is to start reading the code for the
document type itself (*f files) and only later get down to dl as
necessary.  In reportf (3.10), for example, only the following lines
are "interesting" :

  * 267-281: title and contents
  * 411-508: report body
  * 516-528: abstract

That is ~120 lines of code!  The ramining code is one of:

  * highly stereotyped code for galleys, sequences, numbering
  * straightforward invocation of @LargeScaleStructure
  * minor and mostly self-evident helper definitions

Sure, things like @Diag are much harder to grasp, as they involve Lout
voodoo with PostScript black magic.  But tailoring document structure
to suit your needs should be fairly straightforward.

Hope it helps.

SY, Uwe