lout-users

Re: Bibliography & ToC placement

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Bibliography & ToC placement
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 03:01:35 +0300

On Mon, Feb 16, 1998 at 12:51:30AM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:

> > Why do you need these things?
>
> Because, for example,  sometimes I need the TOC to be at the end of the
> report. And this is only one example. It is a pity but sometimes I cannot
> choose the layout of my reports. After all, it is possible in LaTeX and
> possible in MS Word, why should I not have this possibility if I am used to
> it?
>
> I think it would be wise to introduce a @TableOfContents command that I
> could place anywhere in the document.
>
> Another case: sometimes I want an entry in the TOC to be different from the
> section's name, for example because of its being too long. It is possible in
> LaTeX too (don't know about MS Word though).

This is *bogus*!  Think structure!

Yes, in Russian typographic tradition a TOC almost invariably goes at
the end of the book.  But this is nowhere near "anywhere in the
document" (does this "anywhere" includes runners?).

Also a shorter title for a TOC is wildly different from "arbitrary
entry in the table of contents" (will a binary tree in the middle of
the TOC make it more attractive?).

If you ask people to help you with your problems why not state your
problems clearly.  It's to your own interest.  You wrote "anywhere"
and "arbitrary" and got "why do you need this?" because this was the
*only* reasonable answer.

There's already a @RunningTitle parameter that is used for runners, so
may be it *really* makes sense to introduce @ContentsTitle parameter
with a chain of defaults @RunningTitle <- @ContentsTitle <- @Title.
And this is *trivial* to implement.  I am shure that if you had stated
you problem clearly, Jeff's reply would have been: ok, this will be in
3.12.

TOC at the end is a bit less trivial.  Not technically, but rather
philosophically.  Exporting this functionality will require to think
out a range of possibilities and a set of options to control them.
For me it's simpler to tweak the layout to suit my needs, and as I
already wrote a couple of weeks ago this *is* simple.  After all one
of Lout main strengths is that it's so *much* easier to program than
TeX.

SY, Uwe