lout-users

Re: Problems with collation (Was: Locale-specific sorting)

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: Problems with collation (Was: Locale-specific sorting)
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 20:38:25 +0100 (MET)

> In the collation patch that I've sent to Jeff and that was integrated
> into 3.11 I've overlooked one place that was to be conditionalized on
> collation.  As a consequece databases are sorted in collation order
> (strcoll) but are binary-searched with a different order (strcmp).
> This problem went unnoticed since in my own locale the ASCII part
> (intentionally) goes strictly in ASCII order.  And no one seems tested
> the patch with other locales when I posted it in July 1997. :-(

[...]

> Again, sorry.
>
> If you have any more critique/comments/suggestions with regard to
> collation in lout I'll be glad discuss them.
>
> Hope it helps (if not - let me know).

First, thanks for your quick response, Uwe.  I'm still looking into it, but
unfortunately it seems that the patch doesn't help.  The patched version now
fails to resolve references in _any_ locale.  The patch seems to be alright,
though, in that it really fixes something that must be considered a bug.  My
guess is that this patch uncovered some other bug lurking somewhere in the
code...

--
Michael Piotrowski                         <address@hidden>
Department of Computational Linguistics --- University of Erlangen, Germany