lout-users

Lout->HTML (it never dies)

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Lout->HTML (it never dies)
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 22:22:49 +0400

On Mon, Aug 24, 1998 at 04:02:12PM +0100, Andrew Bardsley wrote:

> Actually, one the subject of `back ends' does anyone
> have any plans to write (has written) an HTML generator?

The short answer is to use SGML+DSSSL (too bad lout backend for jade
is still a vaporware), though I guess that's not what you are asking
for.

<plug type=shameless>
I have toyed with that idea some 3 years ago but gave up when I knew
how to do it: it was amuzing to hack and try the idea, but boring to
hack the gory details.

The idea is to define a module that implements the same interface as
the standard one but for every Lout command just emits appropriate
HTML tags, like "<p>" for @PP or @LP, "<br>" for @LP etc.  One then
runs lout with this module and with -p flag (plain text output) and
voila.
</plug>

Someone on the list has taken this code - and right now I can't find
out who that was (ping!).

But it's a loathsome hack and you *really* would want to use real SGML
solution.

SY, Uwe