lout-users

questions from Monty Zukowski answered

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: questions from Monty Zukowski answered
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 07:50:41 +1000

> With @WideTaggedList, the whole list is not indented like the other lists
> are.  Why is that?

I would have said that none of the other lists are indented either.  There
is an option for changing this, anyway: indent (or in the setup file
where it affects every list, @ListIndent).

> With @List, if my @ListItem doesn't have any characters with descenders,
> then the next item is vertically closer than for one with descenders, and
> it looks irregular.

This is a perpetual problem in Lout.  There is no assumption that list
items consist of lines of text, and no attempt to separate them using
baseline-to-baseline distances (which would fix this problem).  Most
of us just live with it, but you could fix it by adding a strut to
the end of each list item if you really hate it.

    def @Strut { @VContract { 0.5f @High ^/ 0.5f @High } }

and then

    @ListItem { No descenders in this one, so needs a strut. @Strut }

> I want to make a little box representing a day on a calendar...

Your braces are in the wrong place.  What you've actually got there
is a paragraph containing two objects, a 12 and everything else.
I'm not sure precisely what you intended with the fonts, but the
following does basically what you intended:

@SysInclude {picture}
@Illustration {
6i @High 3i @Wide { 12
{ Helvetica Narrow 20p }  @Font ragged @Break { The quick brown fox jumps
over the lazy dog.  The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. }

//1rt  # this really changes things!

@OneRow { Helvetica Narrow 20p }  @Font ragged @Break {
This is the bottom justified stuff.  Lines will shift upward instead of
downward.  Pretty cool, eh?
}
}
}

The other surprising thing about this is the use of @OneRow.  Without
it, the bottom justification applies to only the first line of the
final paragraph, leaving later lines with nowhere to go.

Jeff Kingston