lout-users

Re: hp4000N again

From: Peter Samuel
Subject: Re: hp4000N again
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:36:39 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Robert Valliant wrote:

> Sorry. I was trying to describe things so exactly that I forgot to
> tell you what I was using.
>
> I am using RedHat Linux 5.2 and lout 3.08, just what came with the RH
> distribution.
>
> My printcap file for the hp4000 is:
>
> ##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE POSTSCRIPT 600x600 letter {} PostScript Default {}
> hp4000:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp4000:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :rm=128.171.nnn.nnn:\        <-- the n's are numbers not to worry
>         :rp=raw:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/hp4000/filter:
>
> Then I tell it
>
>   lpr -Php4000 filename.ps
>
> and I get the error.
>

> I also neglected to say (because I hadn't tried it) that using LaTex
> and dvips and just say
>
>   lpr -Php4000 filename.ps
>
> and things print just fine.
>
> I am stuck in a conference for the next 2 days, but I will investigate
> next week.

OK. You're obviously using printtool and rhs-printfilters that come
with RH. From the ##PRINTTOOL## line above you are NOT using
ghostscript to convert the input to PCL before printing - that's not a
problem its just me talking out loud.

I've setup a RH5.2 system here with an identical printcap entry to
yours above (obviously the remote machine is different). The
rhs-printfilters config files in /var/spool/lpd/hp4000 are:

general.cfg:

    #
    # General config options for printing on this queue
    # Generated by PRINTTOOL, do not modify.
    #
    export DESIRED_TO=ps
    export PAPERSIZE=legal
    export PRINTER_TYPE=REMOTE
    export ASCII_TO_PS=YES

postscript.cfg:

    #
    # configuration related to postscript printing
    # generated automatically by PRINTTOOL
    # manual changes to this file may be lost
    #
    GSDEVICE=POSTSCRIPT
    RESOLUTION=600x600
    COLOR=
    PAPERSIZE=legal
    EXTRA_GS_OPTIONS=""
    REVERSE_ORDER=
    PS_SEND_EOF=NO

    #
    # following is related to printing multiple pages per output page
    #
    NUP=1
    RTLFTMAR=18
    TOPBOTMAR=18

textonly.cfg:

    #
    # text-only printing options for printing on this queue
    # Generated by PRINTTOOL, do not modify.
    #
    TEXTONLYOPTIONS=
    CRLFTRANS=
    TEXT_SEND_EOF=NO

I can happily print PostScript generated by lout from your original
text to the HP4000N. I used both lout-3.12 on a Solaris 2.5.1 system
and lout-3.08 from the RH5.2 system. Are your config files the same as
mine above? What happens if you set up a different printer entry that
converts the PS to PCL (choose "HP LaserJet 4/5/6 series" in the
Configure Filter dialog box of printtool)? That also works fine for
me.

Regards
Peter
Peter Samuel                                address@hidden
Technical Consultant                        or at present:
Uniq Professional Services,                 address@hidden
a division of X-Direct Pty Ltd
Phone: +61 2 9206 3410                      Fax: +61 2 9281 1301

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"