lout-users

Re: Huge trees printing

From: Monty Zukowski
Subject: Re: Huge trees printing
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:14:27 -0800

>there is a task, which I am wishing since I first met computer but
>without any success yet: which is, how to print HUGE tree diagrams which
>cannot fit on one page, and how to do it automagically. By huge tree I
>mean genealogical trees of some hundreds (maybe thousands) of folks.
>
>Did you ever met any program capable of breaking such huge trees apart
>(available over INet)?

I've used a program called dot and graphviz which is freely available from
AT&T.  My web link is down but you should be able to search and find it
pretty easily.  It will create multi-page documents which can then be pasted
together into a big poster.  It does not handle the problem of formatting
such a thing for a book, which Lout should be able to do, in principle, but
I've no idea how to go about that.

Monty