lout-users

Strange spacing behavior

From: Blake McBride
Subject: Strange spacing behavior
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:52:22 -0600

I have some display text as follows:

@IndentedDisplay @F lines @Break {
> (if (= 3 3)
      8
      9)
8
}

In this example, on both the input and output the 8 and 9 line
up directly under the second left paren.  However, if I try using
the following to bold part of the text:

@IndentedDisplay @F lines @Break {
> @B{(if (= 3 4)
      8
      9)}
9
}

The "@B{" causes the first line of the input text to be shifted to
the right but doesn't shift the output text (as desired).  It just
bolds it.  However, the 8 and 9 have remained in the same
position in the input text but appear shifted to the right!!??
two positions!

In order to make the 8 and 9 appear correctly aligned (under the
second left paren) I have to shift those two lines to the left!!??
two? positions! as follows:

@IndentedDisplay @F lines @Break {
> @B{(if (= 3 4)
    8
    9)}
9
}

Why would adding "@B{" to one line effect positioning on other lines?
Why two spaces?  Why did it shift the output to the right?

I appreciate the help.

--blake

-------
Download source code to my Dynace Object Oriented
Extension to C and Windows Development System from:
http://www.florida-software.com/algorithms
Blake McBride (address@hidden)
Algorithms Corporation - 615-791-1636 - USA