lout-users

Re: Version 3.16 of Lout now available

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Version 3.16 of Lout now available
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 18:22:51 +0400

On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 08:21:33AM -0500, Glauber Ribeiro wrote:

> It's very good to see that Lout has already surpassed TeX. TeX hasn't
> even reached version 3.15 yet, and rumours are it never will. :-)

TeX version numbers are the number PI with increasing precision - new
digit for each version.  Ditto for MetaFont version numbers that
approximate E.

This versioning scheme reflects Knuth desire to freeze the TeX/MF
features to have a system that will produce identical results every
time, everywhere.  Each version approximates that transcendental ideal
better.

But I don't think that version numerlogy is relevant in TeX vs. Lout
comparisons.

PS: And speaking of funny versioning schemes I can't avoid mentioning
    GNU Eiffel with it's negative version numbers ticking up to zero.

SY, Uwe