lout-users

Re: Compiling Lout with CYGWIN B20

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Compiling Lout with CYGWIN B20
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 15:38:52 +0400

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 11:34:16PM -0300, Marcelo Huerta wrote:

> > It has been some while since I did it, but I did compile both 3.08
> > and 3.15 under Cygwin B20.  Both work fine.
>
> I've tried EVERY RELEVANT combination of OS_UNIX, OS_DOS, DBFIX and
> USESTAT (I don't know why I suspected it, but whatever), to no avail.
> Still failing (but I know now that I really shouldn't touch DBFIX; its
> zero value is correct.

The CRLF handling was discussed in the cygwin mailing lists
(searchable via the web) and in the cygwin FAQ.  The cygwin's ftell(3)
behaves very strangely and this is documented somewhere as a feature.
Search their developers' list archives for ftell & CRLF or somesuch
and you'll dig all the relevant info with comments on the internals
from the cygwin developers.

I believe (but never tried it) that you should compile with Unix
settings, have all your files use LF EOL convention and mount the
relevant tree in binary mode.  List archives should give you more
hints.

I did compiled 3.15 with B20.1 using -mno-cygwin flag and "windows"
settings (OS_DOS=1 DBFIX=1 etc).  Note that your files should use
CRLF.

The rule of thumb is, all input files created by user should be in
"text mode" for whatever definition of "text mode" your system is
using.

But since Lout is not a "unix" application, you don't need the
emulation layer provided by cygwin.dll.  The only POSIX dependency in
Lout source code is stat(2) and Win32 does provide it.

So if all you need is to compile Lout on a Win32 box and you don't
insist on Lout being a cygwin application - use lcc-win32, which is a
native Win32 C compiler available free of charge.

SY, Uwe