lout-users

Re: Big Bag o' Questions

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: Big Bag o' Questions
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:27:29 +0200

Colin Klipsch <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
> (8) I realize that Lout has some PDF support, but what I'd also like
>     is extra support in Lout's PostScript output for later PDF
>     distillation.  I refer to the documents below; they discuss the
>     _pdfmark_ operator that Distiller obeys to generate hypertext
>     links, bookmarks, and so on:

Producing general information (author, producer, etc.) and hyperlinks
are no problem, and I've already done this.  What is more difficult,
however, are bookmarks, because you have to count the number of
superordinate structure levels.  To accomplish this you've got to use
the Lout "database", which is even more mysterious to me than the rest
of the Lout language.

>     In my opinion, it's worthwhile to add this PDF support in all
>     PostScript output files, regardless of whether the user intends to
>     run Distiller or not.

I agree.

>     The amount of "waste" in that case is still quite small.
>     However, these features could perhaps be implemented in an
>     optional "PDF" support package that the user could include by
>     choice.

If you included PDF support in all document styles you could provide a
switch to turn it off, but I don't think it's possible (or at least
extremely difficult) to have add-on packages which redefine things (as
with LaTeX).

Greetings

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A. <address@hidden>
Electronic Technologies, Springer-Verlag Heidelberg