lout-users

My version of "root"

From: Giovanni Zezza
Subject: My version of "root"
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 17:08:17 +0100

Eventually I've got something that *seems* to work the way I think it
should. Someone with a better knowledge of Lout than me (so, everyone here,
I think) may of course get something better. There may be some differences
in what is supposed to be "better" too, of course.
All values were obtained by trials and errors (same consideration than
above about font design knowledge).

This seems to me good in eq:

    def mysup
        precedence 56
        right x
        {
                "+0.45f" @VShift 0.5f @Font @Space x
        }

    def myroot
        precedence 56
        left x
        right y
    {
          "-0.4f" @HShift { 1w @HShift { mysup x } }  &0co sqrt y
    }

And this works better in teq, instead:

    def mysup
        precedence 56
        right x
        {
                "+0.3f" @VShift 0.5f @Font @Space x
        }

    def myroot
        precedence 56
        left x
        right y
    {
          "-0.6f" @HShift { 1w @HShift { mysup x } }  &0co sqrt y
    }

There is still (at least) one problem; in expressions like this one:

   @Eq { a myroot { b over c} }

the index is higher (or the tick of the root is lower, as you like better
to put it) than in this one:

   @Eq { a myroot b }

I don't know (and currently don't care very much) how to fix it.

Ciao.