lout-users

Re: Adding a new language to Lout

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Adding a new language to Lout
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 07:10:09 +0300

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 10:15:27PM +0100, Marko Musnjak wrote:

> What should I do to add Croatian to Lout?

. Take a TeX hyphenation patterns for Croatian, read "hyphe/README"
  and tweak the TeX file to conform to Lout requirements.  This is
  very simple.  The result is, say "hyph/croatian.lh".

. Add a "langdef" command to "include/langdefs" by following existing
  examples.  E.g.

      langdef Croatian # and other names for this languge
          { croatian # basename of the hyphenation file
            # copy here end-of-sentence markers from other langs
          }

. Add Croatian keywords to "data/standard.ld".  This is pretty
  straightforward.

. Make initial (-x) run:

      $ lout -x /path/to/loutlib/include/init

. Latin2 map is already part of Lout distribution.  You might want to
  verify that it's correct.

. Make sure you have latin2 fonts.  Fakes in "include/latin2.fd" are
  not suitable for Croatian as far as I can tell, as standard Adobe
  fonts miss some of necessary latin2 glyphs.  I'm sure people with
  other latin2 langauges will be glad to provide more information on
  this.

. Arrange for your documents to see "fontdef" commands for you latin2
  fonts.  E.g. edit "include/latin2.fd" and use @SysInclude { latin2 }
  in your document.

. When you invoke @Document &co (or in the document setup file) you
  just change @InitialLanguage to Croatian and @InitialFont to one of