lout-users

Re: Line numbering

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Line numbering
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 14:34:42 +1000

> I would like to print a document with line numbers in the margin.
> How can I do this in lout?

You can't do it in any convenient way.  I've occasionally done it
for computer programs by making the program the second column of
a table, and putting numbers in the first column.  But this is
fantastically tedious and relies on the computer program not containing
any paragraphs that require breaking.

I can actually think of a really horrible way to do it using galleys,
but it would require expert level Lout programming and is so horrible
that I'm frightened to mention it in public.

Jeff Kingston