lout-users

Re: Question concerning some mathematical symbols

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Question concerning some mathematical symbols
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 18:25:59 +0300

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 10:36:28 -0000, Bouchniba, Ali wrote:

> I have run through Lout user guide but I am unable
> to find out how to write the common used symbol
> in probability theory for expectation.
>
> This symbol is basically a big E but with it's left
> edge (or it's skeleton) consisting of two adjacent
> bars, so it looks something like this:
>
>       IE
>
> There is a similar symbol widely used and that is
> a big P with the same caracteristics, i.e. with
> a sort of double skeleton.

I'm not sure which fonts have these symbols.  I quickly glanced
through TeXbook and AMS by example and found nothing suitable.
Standard CM fonts have N, Z etc emboldened (filled), not hollow.
There's AMS msmb font that has complete set of hollow upper-case
latin, but it's serifed and, IIRC, probability theory specifically
uses sans-serif.

If you know of a font that has these symbols, using it with @Eq is
quite simple (drop me a private email if you need help with that).

SY, Uwe