lout-users

Re: Music Notation

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Music Notation
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 13:53:19 +0300

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 04:42:43 +0100, Michael Piotrowski wrote:

> > Anyways, I was wondering if there is a font that has the various notes
> > and such in it, so that I don't have to make my own.  Or, since
> > Lilypond is GPL, is there any way to get the TeX fonts to be usable
> > from Lout?
>
> The TeX fonts are probably METAFONT fonts (I haven't looked at it);
> some work has been done on converting METAFONT to Type 1, but this
> isn't an automatic process, and due to the conceptual differences of
> the METAFONT and Type 1 font models, it seems to be non-trivial.

Well, alternatively, if you don't use the same font at a lot of
different point sizes, you can just generated a Type 3 font from PK
just like dvips does (preferrably at a very fine resolution).  Though
dvips will use a different font for different point sizes and you'll
be constrained to only one, hence the requirement that the point sizes
doesn't vary a lot and thus you will not be affected by lack of
optical scaling effects and possible bitmap scaling effects (jagged
edges etc).

Or, since the output is machine generated, I suppose, you can
faithfully emulate TeX and use appropriate TeX fonts at diffrent point
sizes: i.e. instead of

    { Score Plain 12p } @Font { ... }
    { Score Plain  9p } @Font { ... }

you'll generate

    { ScoreXII Plain 12p } @Font { .. }
    { ScoreIX  Plain  9p } @Font { .. }

You can use GNU fontutils to curve-fit a bitmap with an outline with
limn(1).  But the output will need quite some hand-tuning and without
a good editor, like FontLab, it's not very feasible - and then you'd
better use FontLab's own curve-fitter ScanFont.

SY, Uwe