lout-users

overstrike

From: Efraim Yawitz
Subject: overstrike
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 22:30:04 -0800 (PST)

I'm trying to implement the Hebrew 'vowels', which are extra symbols added
to each letter above or below.  They exist in many Hebrew fonts as
separate characters, so I'm doing something like this:
-.5w @HShift{.5w @HShift x &0io .5w @HShift @Char Egrave}
where x is the character to have a vowel added to it, and @Char Egrave is
the glyph for the vowel.  The problem is, that this is now treated as a
whole word, and the inter-character spacing between letters is lost.
I can imagine that the best way to do this would be inside PostScript
itself, making each combination of letter (27 of them) and vowel (about
8) a separate character in a font.  Maybe there is a better way?

Ephraim