lout-users

Re: @NotRevealed

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: @NotRevealed
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 19:11:16 +0400

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 10:05:56 +0200, Samuel Lacas wrote:

> This makes me wonder: would not it be possible to have a "look for
> galleys in order of appearance" rather than the "preceding",
> "followin" or "foll or prec" features; of course, that would only
> stand for "unflushed" ones.  May be it too memory consuming.

"preceding" and "following" are purely spatial.  It has some,
mmm... interesting applications.  Look at this example that I still
think is my greatest Lout hack (with-plug :shameless  As Jeff said,
"I just hope that Lout is up to it". ;)

    http://www.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/lout/essays/380.classified.txt

As I wrote on several occasions, I think that the spatial aspect of
Lout is under-appreciated if clearly understood at all (my mind just
boggles and gets a watchdog reset when I think about it).

> Well, my intuition now is that, if someone wants to have the correct
> output order whatever the input order, I may need to resort to
> sorted galleys.

Well, you need to pair your Qs and As somehow.  You can do it
spatially, by feeding them in pairs in the sorted order Q1 A1 Q2 A2 -
which is the most simple solution.  Or you can (I think) pair them
using tags.  The latter, if possible, will have a hard performance
hit, as the whole list (i.e. the whole document) will need to be held
in the memory.

SY, Uwe