lout-users

Re: references in order of appearance (again)

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: references in order of appearance (again)
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:40:46 +1000

On Thu Oct 05 2000 Mikko Huhtala <address@hidden> wrote:

------------------
I need to generate reference lists that are in order of the appearance of
the citations in the text. So far I have used preprocessing to add labels
(numbers) to each @Cite and then sorted the reference list using labels as
the key. There are two problems with this: first, the labels are sorted as
strings, so '2' comes after '19' and before '20' etc. and second,
consecutive reference numbers come out as separate labels, eg. (1, 2, 3,
4, 7) instead of (1-4, 7).
-------------------

I've done this for the next release, by reducing the number of
runs needed by Uwe's bizarre

    @RefListSortKey { @NumberOf @Tag }

solution from 2N + 1 to five, and by adding 1000 to the numbers
used for sorting (not printing) so that instead of comparing 10
to 2 and getting it wrong, Lout compares 1010 with 1002 and gets
it right.

I have not done anything about number ranges within citations.

What I've done is cheap and nasty compared with enhancing the
design and implementation of sorted galleys, but hey, I did it
in a couple of hours.

Jeff Kingston