lout-users

Re: newbie question regarding tables

From: Samuel Lacas
Subject: Re: newbie question regarding tables
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:38:15 +0200

Henning von Bargen a écrit 1.2K le Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 02:42:06PM +0200:
# Hi all!
# I've tried creating a simple document with tables,
# because I want to see if lout can handle multi-page tables
# the way I expect.
# However, the following input file results in an error message:
#     19,2: @BeginHeaderComponent symbol ignored (out of place)
#     40,2: @EndHeaderComponent symbol ignored (out of place)
#
# What does it mean? What is wrong with this file?
# I compared it with the example in the user's guide (pp 124-125)
# and could not a big difference.
# FYI I'm using lout 3.2.4 on Windows NT.
#
# Henning

Hi,

the user guide (6.11) says:

   Some care is needed over where to put multi-page tables. They can't
   go within any of the display symbols, because display symbols are not
   clever enough to break tables between rows, even though they are
   sometimes able to break simpler displays. (A display symbol will scale
   a very high table to fit on one page, and it will go wrong on a table
   containing @NP.)

Your problem is caused by the @PP symbol in front of your table.
Replace it with @DP... @PP is one of the most confusing symbol in
Lout (my humble opinion), especially when you come from the LaTeX
world (I mean, it is very different from the \par command).

Keep courage :)

sL