lout-users

Re: Tex hyphenation patterns and fixed areas in columns

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Tex hyphenation patterns and fixed areas in columns
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 10:04:39 +1000

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:18:21 +0400 (MSD), Jürgen Dums wrote:

  > Hi,
  >
  > I´m new in lout and I check to use lout as a backend in a certain
  > project.
  > I have 2 questions:
  >
  > - Is there a tool to convert TEX hyphenation patterns to the format lout
  > likes to have?

No, but it's not hard to do by hand.  There is documentation available
on the file format in Lout distribution file hyph/README.

  > - Is it possible in lout to define in a page or in a column a fixed area
  > an the text is going around this area?
  >    Like:
  >
  >     Text Text Text Text Text Text
  >     Text Text Text ---------------
  >     Text Text Text |                     |
  >     Text Text Text |                     |
  >     Text Text Text ---------------
  >     Text Text Text Text Text Text

Not really.  Lout has a basic limitation that its flowing text
can't change its width as it goes.  There is a feature called
"horizontal galleys" which can do this and has been used to
make text flow around a large capital letter at the start of
a paragraph, but it's on the experimental fringe and I don't
recommend you to try it.

Jeff Kingston