lout-users

Re: @Scale seems to kill hyphenation

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: @Scale seems to kill hyphenation
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 08:40:07 +1100

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 12:19:41 +0000, Mark Summerfield wrote:

  > I wrote this definition:
  >
  > import @BasicSetup
  > def @C right x
  > {
  >     { 0.75 1.0 } @Scale { Courier Base 9p } @Font x
  > }
  >
  > It is identical to @F (from bsf), except for the scaling, and the use of
  > a fixed point size.
  >
  > Unfortunately, when I do this:
  >
  > @C{someVeryLongFunctionName()} it does not get hyphenated, even though
  > @F{someVeryLongFunctionName()} does. I have tried
  > @C{some}&address@hidden&address@hidden()}, but this has no effect; with
  > @C, lout scales, not as I've asked but just to fit, and doesn't do any
  > hyphenation.
  >
  > Is there a solution to this? Or am I doing something wrong?

Hyphenation is a thing that is done to paragraphs, not exactly to
individual words, although I know it looks that way.  I'm afraid
that when

    { 0.75 1.0 } @Scale { Courier Base 9p } @Font someVeryLongFunctionName()

appears within a paragraph, it is not going to look to Lout like
something that can be hyphenated.  Only words can be hyphenated;
this thing is a scaled object.  Executive summary: no hope.

> with @C, lout scales, not as I've asked but just to fit,

{ 0.75 1.0 } @Scale should not scale to fit.  If it does, send me a
small sample file and I will look into it for you.

Jeff