lout-users

Re: Viewing textures; lout-3.28.user.ps conversion issues

From: Mark Summerfield
Subject: Re: Viewing textures; lout-3.28.user.ps conversion issues
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 12:52:39 +0100

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 04:39, K. H. Man wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This is my first posting; I am working on some documentation for
> Lua. It was a nightmare trying to dig into TeX innards (I'm no
> admirer of some of Knuth's eccentricities :-)), but Lout is a
> pleasure to use and tweak. Two thumbs up!!

I've been using lout for many years now, and I find it amazing.

[snip]
> (2)
> lout-3.28.user.ps dies while being converted to PDF using
> Ghostview 4.3 and Ghostscript 7.04 on Win32. The exact location is
> here: rendering the textured letters -- '3725 7355(ABC)m' right
> after the 45deg texture creation code on Page 160.
>
> The error message is:
> ---------------------------------------
> Unrecoverable error: rangecheck in show
> Operand stack:
>      ABC
> gsapi_execute_cont returns -15
> gsapi_exit returns 0

I have found two problems with converting postscript to PDF using
ghostscript. 1) textures don't work -- the solution I use is to run lout
with the -t option which turns off textures output (mostly; doesn't do
it for page 240 in the user manual for example). 2) ghostscript
sometimes gets confused about kerning after ligatures. I have no nice
fix for this, except for fiddling with the lout e.g. using @OneCol and
similar tricks when I notice these mistakes.

--
Mark.