lout-users

Re: Improving the output of the standard eq package

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Improving the output of the standard eq package
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 11:39:53 +0200

Hi,

Chris Webb <address@hidden> writes:

> I have a slightly modified version of the standard Lout eq package which
> I've been using to set the odd simple equation in my documents. The modified
> eq makes the lower case Greek letters from the Symbol font fit in better
> with the italic Latin letters from the Times font by slanting them in the
> same way as Groff does.
>
> I've put a copy of the patch against Lout 3.31 at
>
>   http://home.arachsys.com/~chris/lout-3.31-eqsl.patch

That sounds nice!  However, it would be cool it we could turn it off as
well.  The reason for this is that people might prefer the non-slanted
version for some reason, or might have another font at hand that
contains optically-slanted Greek letters (I don't know of any such
font).

Maybe adding a `symbolfont' argument to address@hidden' (defaulting to either
`Symbol Base' or `Symbol Slope'), and then referring to it within
address@hidden'
could do the trick?

Out of curiosity: do you know how the (La)TeX people handle this?  It
seems that Knuth' fonts do not have slanted Greek letters either.

Thanks,
Ludovic.