lout-users

Re: Punctuation spacing

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Punctuation spacing
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:39:51 +0200

Hi,

address@hidden (Jeff Kingston) writes:

> I'm still guessing that an include
> file of definitions would be better; can we see what definitions
> you actually need, and go over the places where they cause trouble?

You may be right in that this is the best short-term solution.

I can hardly list all the places where such definitions may cause
trouble.  Specifically, I remember defining `(' at some point (preceding
opening parentheses with an unbreakable space so that they can't appear
at the beginning of a line --- arguably, one can live without it), which
then caused trouble with `xticks' and similar options of address@hidden' whose
body is passed directly to the PostScript back-end.

I'd suspect most other places where code is directly passed to the
PostScript back-end are located in address@hidden' (and address@hidden' in
particular).
Are there other such places?

Personally, I would go for a single include file (e.g., `spacing') and
put all the definitions in there.  Each definition would contain an
address@hidden' dependent on address@hidden' so that the right spacing rule is
chosen in all places of a document.

Also, rather than defining all these symbols at the top-level, maybe we
could make them extend address@hidden', although that would not make a
huge difference in the end.

I'd be happy to gather languages' spacing rules and try to build up such
a file for the next release.

Thanks,
Ludovic.