lout-users

Re: On the meaning of ``single-space'' inter-line spacing

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: On the meaning of ``single-space'' inter-line spacing
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:01:17 +0200

Hi Michael,

Michael Piotrowski <address@hidden> writes:

> AFAIK, these terms are typewriter (not typesetting) terminology: On a
> mechanical typewriter you could typically select single-spaced,
> space-and-a-half, or double-spaced.  Space-and-a-half was normally
> used.  Single-spaced is in fact equivalent to 1.0fx, and thus *very*
> tight.  Double-spaced, as typically required for manuscripts, "means a
> full blank line (not a half-line) between all typed lines" [1] (and is
> thus very wide).

Thanks for your explanations.

It turns out that I just read otherwise rather precise IEEE formatting
instructions [0] that require ``single-spacing'' without providing
further details.  Their example is not as tight as 1.0fx, rather
something like 1.2fx it seems, so I think their use of the term
``single-spacing'' was inaccurate.

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[0] ftp://pubftp.computer.org/press/outgoing/proceedings/instruct.pdf