lout-users

Re: numbers in @Diag names

From: Joe Beach
Subject: Re: numbers in @Diag names
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 12:26:09 -0700

Joe Beach wrote:

Mark Summerfield wrote:
On Fri 9-Mar-07, Joe Beach wrote:
Hello,

I use @Diag to make figures, and it is often convenient to name objects
in the diagram with numbers, such as:

ITEM1::@Box translate {NW to 0,1} {something}
ITEM2::@Box translate {W to address@hidden {something 2}
ITEM3::@Box translate {W to address@hidden {something 3}

I sometimes run into problems with numbers in the names, in which lout
gives an error and won't generate the diagram. If I change the names to
something like ITEMONE, ITEMTWO, ITEMTHREE, then things work okay. Have
other people observed this sort of behavior? I'd like to use the numbers
because it lets me use while loops and counters in a script to place an
array of objects on a page.

Being able to use numbers would be v. convenient... but you must be
careful. According to the user manual (pg. 198) you should only use
uppercase letters, and if you use digits then you must enclose the tag
in quotes, e.g. "address@hidden".

Ah, thank you. I actually have read quite a bit of the manual, but I must have missed that part about the quotes. I'll give it a try.

Joe Beach

I just tried it, and adding the quotes to the names in the translate location worked. Thanks again for the help. So, it looks like: