lout-users

prg2lout's erratic behaviour for character literals

From: Gabor Greif
Subject: prg2lout's erratic behaviour for character literals
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:08:45 +0200

Hi lout-users,

I observed strange things when formatting character constants
(literals) like 'F' in Haskell.

Looking into the prg2lout sources I see:

TOKEN CCharacterToken = {
  U "character",        /* used by error messages involving this token      */
  PRINT_WHOLE_QUOTED,   /* print this token in quotes etc. as usual         */
  U "@PC",              /* Lout command for formatting characters           */

TOKEN EiffelCharacterToken = {
  U "character",        /* used by error messages involving this token      */
  PRINT_WHOLE_QUOTED,   /* print this token in quotes etc. as usual         */
  U "@PC",              /* Lout command for formatting characters           */

TOKEN HaskellCharacterToken = {
  U "character",        /* used by error messages involving this token      */
  PRINT_WHOLE_QUOTED,   /* print this token in quotes etc. as usual         */
  U "@PC",              /* Lout command for formatting characters           */

But @PC seems to invoke *comment* formatting:

/*****************************************************************************/
/*                                                                           */
/*  Tokens defining comments in various languages.                           */
/*                                                                           */
/*****************************************************************************/

TOKEN CCommentToken = {
  U "comment",          /* used by error messages involving this token      */
  PRINT_WHOLE_QUOTED,   /* print this token in quotes etc. as usual         */
  U "@PC",              /* Lout command for formatting comments             */

so I guess those 3 occurrences should be written as @PS to invoke string
formatting:

/*          @PS  for formatting strings                                      */
/*          @PC  for formatting comments                                     */

The second problem is unrelated, but provoked by the first one.

In my stderr I see many lines like this:

lout filter file "lout30" (from "Thrist.lout" line 662):
    2,57: @Char dropped (character "minus}" unknown in font Symbol Base)
   2,146: @Char dropped (character "minus}" unknown in font Symbol Base)

It appears that in haskellf this definition is wrong:

        def @PC         # for formatting comments
            right x
        {
                @PCnoDelim { "{"@Symb address@hidden minus"}" }
        }

--should possibly be->

        def @PC         # for formatting comments
            right x
        {
                @PCnoDelim { "{"address@hidden address@hidden minus}"}" }
        }

Jeff, could you integrate this into the next version?

Thanks,

        Gabor

PS: I shall test these tentative patches as soon as I arrive at home.
PPS: I cited lout 3.33 sources, because this is the version I have here,
I have seen same thing with 3.34, did not try 3.35.