lout-users

Re: PDF output

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: PDF output
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:45:54 +1100

> I no longer need Lout, because I discovered
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/halibut
> which has more output formats.

I took a look at this.  It translates a TeX-like markup language
to plain text, html, pdf, postScript, man pages, info pages,
and a couple of Windows formats.  It's advertised as being for
documentation so it probably doesn't do equations, diagrams, etc.,
although I didn't penetrate deeply enough to find out for sure.
>From the tone I suspect that the features have been implemented
one by one, rather than on top of a kernel like Lout is.  That
will work in a restricted application like documentation, but
not in general document formatting.  I don't think the author
would dispute that, he makes a similar comparison with TeX.

Jeff