lout-users

Using Computer Modern in Lout - some final questions

From: Clint Olsen
Subject: Using Computer Modern in Lout - some final questions
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 02:25:30 -0700

I posed questions about this a number of years ago.  After revisiting this
issue, I have some additional questions.

If you take fonts from Metafont that were derived from various point sizes
in TeX for example, what is the preferred usage method for the various
flavors of those fonts?  In other words, if I take a 10pt font derived from
Metafont and specify 10p as the size in Lout, is there any scaling that is
happening?

The cm-super package consists of the following pt sizes according to the
afm file list:

sfrm0500.afm
sfrm0600.afm
sfrm0700.afm
sfrm0800.afm
sfrm0900.afm
sfrm1000.afm
sfrm1095.afm
sfrm1200.afm
sfrm1440.afm
sfrm1728.afm
sfrm2074.afm
sfrm2488.afm
sfrm2986.afm
sfrm3583.afm

So, 5-36pt...

So, if I want a point size in Lout that's not exactly one of these, do you
select the closest size here available?  Is there a sacrifice in quality in
scaling down vs. scaling up?

I presume that using the PDF backend in Lout is not possible when you use
these foreign fonts?  Or is there a way to sidestep all the 'includeres'
stuff that is required using the Postscript path?

Why in the heck am I bothering with all of this?  I ask myself the same
thing, but I have to admit that it's primarily because the typefaces
available in the standard Postscript library are not very nice to read
compared to Computer Modern.  In fact, aside from the Lucida family, most
of the fonts are pretty underwhelming.  Maybe the pair kerning isn't all
sophisticated in word processing systems compared to Lout or TeX.  I'm not
sure...

Is there any thought to having future versions of Lout or even Nonpareil to
support OpenType or TrueType?  Adding fonts to Lout is kind of a pain.

Thanks,

-Clint

believed to be clean.