lout-users

Re: Symbol expansion in body Parameter

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Symbol expansion in body Parameter
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:49:11 +1100

> While doing some @Filter testing I ran into the following problem...

As someone pointed out, the right (or body) parameter of an
invocation of a symbol with a @Filter is passed uninterpreted
to the filter.  There is no way to interpret the right parameter
and then pass the interpreted result through a @Filter.  This is
not a defect of @Filter, it merely means that what you are trying
to achieve cannot be achieved with @Filter.

I believe there is no way to convert the Lout object

    Haase et al. 2007f

into the Lout object

    Haase et al.

Lout has features for building larger objects out of smaller
ones, but it has no features for dissecting larger objects
into smaller ones, except @Rump which is not applicable here.

The usual solution to these problems is to make sure you
start off with the smallest pieces, so that you only need
to join them, not dissect them.  I am not sure of the
context of your question, but I would be looking into
where "Haase et al. 2007f" came from in the first place,
and trying to influence the source to produce the two
pieces rather than their concatenation.

Jeff