lout-users

Re: How to set paper size?

From: Mark Summerfield
Subject: Re: How to set paper size?
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 07:39:26 +0100

On 2008-09-01, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Mark Summerfield <address@hidden> writes:
> > This is annoying because (1) for small documents you often end up
> > needing two files, and (2) if you upgrade lout you may find changes that
> > (of course) aren't in your local copy and so you may have to merge them
> > (as I've had to do more than once and it was a nightmare, the first time
> > anyway).
>
> I wholeheartedly agree on (1), but I don't think the problem in (2)
> really exists since most lines in `doc' are comments, meaning "let Lout
> pick the default value for that parameter".  Thus, when new named
> parameters are added to Lout's `doc', they don't need to be added to
> your own copies of `doc'.

The problem I hit was with 'book'. Sure the newly added lines were
comments (some for features I'd asked for:-) but I still had to merge
them in (i.e., when I wanted to change their default). But now that I
recall more clearly, I agree (2) isn't much of a problem---it only was
for me because I'd changed bookf.

:-)

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy