lout-users

Re: @Diag question

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: @Diag question
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 08:17:26 +1100

j. van den hoff <address@hidden> wrote:
> I only noted that the `ylabel' on an arrow is not centered
> on the arrow as a whole but rather on the line excluding
> the arrowhead.

I ran Mark Summerfield's version of your example and thought
that it looked pretty good, except for this problem of the
ylabels not being vertically aligned.  By preceding the two
@Arrow symbols with @ShowTags (User's Guide, Section 9.10)
I was able to verify that the problem was indeed that the
ylabel is being placed halfway to the base of the arrowhead,
not halfway to the tip of the arrowhead.

I can't remember now why I designed it this way; perhaps
because it is the right approach for short arrows, since
it keeps the ylabel away from the arrowhead.

This is an example of a general phenomenon in document
formatting, that arrangements that work well most of the
time sometimes don't work well in particular cases.  My
suggestion is to get to like the current output, which
doesn't look bad.  The alternative is to use more algebra
to move the ylabels to where you want them.

Jeff