lout-users

Re: too small inter-word spacing

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: too small inter-word spacing
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 18:43:32 +0200

On 2008-09-03, Joerg van den Hoff <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I'm especially interested to learn, whether there is some way
>>> to increase inter-word spacing a bit globally
>>
>> I suggest you wait a while until you have a good picture of the
>> overall behaviour of paragraph breaking across your entire
>> document.  Then, if you still think that the paragraph breaking
>
> doing this right now...
>
>> is generally too tight, you can try editing file
>>
>>     lout.lib/font/Pa-Rm
>>
>> to change the WX entry on the line defining the size of the
>> space character from its current value to something larger.
>
> not sure whether I should really mess with the font metrics file but
> maybe I just test it out.

Maybe I misunderstand the problem, but if the interword spacing is too
tight, have you tried adjusting @InitialSpace?

For example I have used

  @InitialSpace {compress +0.25s}

for some documents where I found the interword spacing too tight.

I would also write

  Cf.~the manual ...

in your example, because I wouldn't want to have a line ending with Cf.
Of course, one could also argue that "see" would be better here ...

Greetings

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                               <address@hidden>
Public key at <http://www.dynalabs.de/mxp/pubkey.txt> (ID 0x1614A044)