lout-users

Re: Diag nodes and links

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Diag nodes and links
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 08:36:38 +1100

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 07:41:13PM -0500, Daniel Ajoy wrote:

> What happens if there are more that one node in the Nodes part? It looks
> like the coordinates correspond to the first node. Am I correct?

The Nodes part is a regular Lout object, and a node put in that
part is a regular Lout object, like, say, a word in a paragraph.
If you put two nodes in the Nodes part and they are separated by
white space, that will be treated like a paragraph with two words.

As examples in the Guide show, the usual arrangement is to use
tables etc. in the nodes part to arrange the nodes.

> What is the criteria to place nodes in the Nodes part or in the Links part?

Nodes in the nodes part have their natural size and get arranged
by tables or trees or however you want to do it.  Nodes in the
Links part should have cooordinates saying where in the diagram
they are to go, and when they get there they have size zero.

So you choose which of these is more appropriate for you.  I
very rarely put nodes in the Links part.

Jeff