lout-users

Re: Margin Control per Page

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Margin Control per Page
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 07:53:21 +1100

Robin,

Different margins on different pages is a swamp.

There is a basic problem, in that when Lout sets text it does so to
a certain width, and then puts it onto pages.  It works out the width
based on the first page, and expects subsequent pages to be the same.
So if you want text to flow from one page to another, and on those two
pages the columns of text have different width, you're stuck.

If it's different text on different pages, you essentially have
two separate documents concatenated, and I would suggest using
Lout to make each document separately, and using your PostScript
toolkit to concatenate them.

Alternatively, Lout has no problem in principle with different
margins on different pages (except for the text flowing problem
above), so you could put an expression of the form

    @PageNum @Case { ... }

into the margins in the @Include file.  Actually @PageNum is probably
not visible there, you'd need to use a cross reference to obtain a
page number.  But this then raises the question of what rule you are
following to define the different margins on different pages.

Jeff