lout-users

Re: Wanted: a font that contains music accidentals such as sharp, flat a

From: Barrie Stott
Subject: Re: Wanted: a font that contains music accidentals such as sharp, flat and natural
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 15:09:09 +0100

On 1 May 2014, at 03:48, David Duffy wrote:

> On Thu, 1 May 2014, Barrie Stott wrote:
>
>> I'm creating a document about music that contains musical examples. The
>> examples are created using mup, a program for typesetting music, where each
>> example is turned into .eps file. The document proper is a lout file that
>> includes the musical examples and I want to be able to refer to flat (b),
>> sharp (#) and natural.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a suitable font for gaining access to such characters
>> from within lout?
>
> Perhaps
>
> http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/Musica.ttf
>
> which you have to then convert to AFM, and then make a lout LCM file -
> see the README in lout.lib/maps and the Expert manual.
>
> David Duffy (who hasn't actually done this).

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the font, created the .afm and .pfb and
updated my fontdefs.ld. Not knowing what characters would be present or where I
would find flat, sharp and natural, I used the LtLatin1.LCM and my LCM file. I
printed 'ABCD' from Times and from Musica and obtained the four letters ABCD
from both but their glyphs were obviously different. I then looked at
Musica.afm and names of characters looked VERY close to those in Times; in
addition, I could see no names that looked anything like musical accidentals.
My feeling is that the Musica font has nothing to do with music.

Having gone through the exercise once, it should be easier next time. If anyone
has any other suggestions for a font that has flat, sharp and natural, I'm all
ears.

Barrie.