lout-users

Re: Is there a lout package repository?

From: Matěj Cepl
Subject: Re: Is there a lout package repository?
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 12:31:03 +0200

On 2015-10-10, 08:16 GMT, Joh-Tob Schäg wrote:
> i used Latex in the past and now want to try something new.
> In Latex there are packages, which provide syntax and symbols for
> chemistry, cryptography and so on.
> Are there such packages in lout?
> Are there package distributions or reprositoires like CTAN?

First of all, Lout is dead. There was no release since
27-Jun-2013 and I don't think there was any substantial change
since 2005 or so. It is great technology, I have no doubts that
on its own technologically a way better than the LaTeX itself,
but it has never developed sufficient community to get life of
its own.  Also, some more recent (to show how obsolete lout is
in some aspects) like HTML or PDF have not caught up with lout,
so basically the only use of the Lout documents is to be printed
via PostScript (or distilled to PDF via ps2pdf or Adobe
Distiller).

I believe that the best source of information about Lout is the
archive of this list (see
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.type-setting.lout)

Also, there are some pages on Lout on (Valeriy Ushakov is an
übermensch in the world of Lout who helped Lout’s users almost
as much as Jeff)
https://web.archive.org/web/20110831011024/http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/lout/essays/essays.html

Concerning fonts etc. ... Lout is very closely related to the
PostScript, which in its original form (or always?) knows
nothing about Unicode and it was (is?) based solely on various
8bit encodings.

> And last but not least can you recommend any howtos/texts/documentation
> when it comes to writing your own code?

First of all, the official documentation which is part of the
package is excellent and useful on its own. The second best
source is IMHO the archive of this list (see above for URL).

Best,

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: address@hidden

Whenever Christ our life is revealed, then also you will be
revealed with Him in glory.
    -- Colossians 3:4 (Green's Literal Translation)