lout-users

Re: UTF-8 font workaround

From: Valery Ushakov
Subject: Re: UTF-8 font workaround
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 00:18:09 +0300

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 13:53:34 +0000, Anton Kizilov wrote:

> Though I didn't get the part about UA and AC functions. Does the AC
> states for "alternate character"?

This is decribed in maps/00README.  UA is UnAccented character and AC
is the corresponding ACcent.

> And what about "additional entries"? Are they indeed so necessary?

What additional entries?

> And of course, what about the glyphs?  I used "URW+ Postscript
> core35 font" glyphs and from what I've seen, the developers of the
> project are trying to make an Extended Type 1 (extended almost to
> all languages). Yet lout uses the default Type 1. Is it because of
> the licensing and patent issues?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Lout only needs to know the
glyph names, which are more or less standardized, and the encoding.
E.g. koi8 maps can be used with any font that follows the naming
standard for cyrillic glyphs.  I guess these days Adobe Glyph List is
the up-to-date standard for that.

-uwe