lout-users

Re: Galley/macro problem

From: Valery Ushakov
Subject: Re: Galley/macro problem
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 03:27:10 +0300

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 21:30:32 +0100, Francesco Ariis wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 07:05:49PM +0300, Valery Ushakov wrote:
>
> > Check the section on horizontal galleys in the Expert's Guide.
>
> Replacing:
>
>     def @JEInto force horizontally into { @JEGalley&&preceding }
>
> with:
>
>     def @JEInto into { @JEGalley&&preceding }
>
> doesn't seem to change things. Is there anything else I should
> modify?

TL;DR: RTFM :)

Please, read the docs.  You are basically trying to use one of the
most obscure and advanced feautures that also has known limitations.
This is hardly an ideal choice for learning about lout.

You should at least learn how normal (vertical) galleys work.  "The
Design and Implementation" is old, but is still an excellent
introduction.

The Expert's Guide is also a must read.  It explains galleys in
general and horizontal galleys and their limitations in particular and
gives an example of horizontal galleys.

Try to play with that example to understand how it works before
writing your own code.  Note, e.g., how with galleys there's almost
always a _list_ of target symbols; understand how and why //1.1b trick
works, etc.  Without that prior knowledge (which I myself have mostly
lost :) it's impossible to tell what "else you should modify".

I posted a couple of small galley examples that you might also want to
study:

  http://www.stderr.spb.ru/~uwe/lout/essays/1377.calendar.txt

and specifically for horizontal galleys:

  http://www.stderr.spb.ru/~uwe/lout/essays/1251.flowing.txt
  http://www.stderr.spb.ru/~uwe/lout/essays/1252.flowing-not.txt

(that also note layout problems it ran into).

Note, that my examples above are from 1999, I hardly remember anything
about them beyond what's in the mails.

-uwe